Thursday, October 6, 2011

Adventures in Off-Roading (and not by me)

Today I my guest blogger is another of my favorite ladies, Sara from Life's Recipe.  Sara is one of the few bloggers I follow that is NOT a mommy blogger, and I just love her to bits and bits.  She cracks me up all the time, either because of her crazy horror-movie-making neighbors, her spider battles, or just her.  So give her some love over here and then go visit her over there!

*******************************************************************************


So, here's the thing... I'm guest posting over here at Lisa's blog, which I am super excited about, because I heart her. And so I am very happy to pinch- write, while her and her husband are at some kind of Jeep Jam thing-y.



I think it's only fitting to tell Y'all about the first time that I went off- roading in my friend's Jeep.


It did not end well.


First, let me preface this story by letting you know that I?


Am an “inside” girl.


A Girl's Girl.


Seriously Y'all.


Some may even use “prissy” to describe me.


I'm fine with that.


But once upon a time, there was a boy (isn't there always?), and he wasn't an indoor kind of guy.


Since I was desperate to impress, for YEARS, I faked a love for all things non- girly.



UGH.



This boy had a Jeep, and it was all lifted and had big tires and other crazy- ass things that you don't need in order to drive back and forth to the mall.



Just saying.



One night, after grocery shopping (we were roommates, because I like a side of complications with my crushes), he decided we were going to go off- roading. So we dropped the food and his girlfriend (yup) off at the apartment (to be fair, she was invited, and she decided to stay home, but being the desperate sort that I was, I of course decided to go. Everyone knows a good love story starts in the woods...) and drove over to some local (no trespassing) trails.


I should mention here that it was already like 10 pm, and raining. And it was February.


So we're are driving around on these trails, and it's all bumpy and annoying and I want to be anywhere (with him) but in the freaking woods. At night. In the rain. In February.


Did I mention that it was raining?


Any-who, about two miles in or so, he decides to turn around and of course, the Jeep gets stuck. I (sensibly) stay in the car while he checks out the situation. It was during this exploration that he discovered that the tire was flat.


Awesome.

So at this point (because sadly, I am old enough that this was during a time that ALL people did not have cell phones), we were forced to walk out of the woods.


Two miles. In the dark. In the rain. In February.


The highlight of this was when I almost fell, and then he decided to hold my hand.


Pathetic.


We finally make it to the main road, and then walked another half mile or so to his friend's apartment.

His friend, who would not let us in because of the head- to- toe mud, called our other friend who also had a big giant off- roading truck. He thankfully came to our rescue, and while he couldn't get the Jeep out, he did at least give us a ride home.


Eventually, a few days later, the Jeep was rescued. Sadly, I would suffer through more off- roading experiences, including driving straight up and down boulders (during which I seriously thought I was going to DIE).


Ah, the things we do for young, stupid, unrequited love.


Thank goodness I got over him. He married someone else, and I can just stay in and enjoy a book....

8 comments:

  1. I wish we could see a video of this experience and of this "Sara." The things we do for the love with the wrong person LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear. i can see doing it the first time, but more times after that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, your first clue to stay home should have been that not even the girlfriend was willing to go when you agreed to go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol-- yes I did a few things when I was dating that I really didn't want to trying to impress a guy- so not worth it.
    Great story- enjoyed your guest post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oof... the things we do for love. My big thing was camping - even though I don't get along with nature. I dated several guys who luuurved camping and, like a dumbass, I would always go along. Luckily Hubs has the same healthy disdain for the outdoors that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oof... the things we do for love. My big thing was camping - even though I don't get along with nature. I dated several guys who luuurved camping and, like a dumbass, I would always go along. Luckily Hubs has the same healthy disdain for the outdoors that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oof... the things we do for love. My big thing was camping - even though I don't get along with nature. I dated several guys who luuurved camping and, like a dumbass, I would always go along. Luckily Hubs has the same healthy disdain for the outdoors that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. You are brave. I don't know if I could have done that--love or lust aside. And driving up and down boulders? Eeek!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.