My last guest blogger is Emmy from Emmy Mom. I love Emmy's blog, and her stories of her three babes and all the cool DIY projects she does (that I would gladly pay her to do for me, because I am NOT crafty). She's also a fantastic photographer and if she still lived here in Chicago she would have my business. But sadly, she's moved away...but she misses us greatly....
**********************************************************************************
Sometimes you read a blog for a while only to one day discover something that you totally missed. This happened to me with Lisa's blog. And what did I miss? The fact that Lisa lives in Illinois- and not only in Illinois but in the Chicago area. My love for her immediately grew- as this is where I grew up and we all know Chicago is the best!
What you didn't know that? Well I will have to educate you as to why.
First Chicago is right in the middle of everything. (Not on the east coast like some kid my freshmen year of college tried to tell me) No one wants to be left out and on their own- we all like being in the middle of things- so score one for Chicago.
Second- Chicago weather has it all. Who wants California's constant sunshine? Who wants the mild temperatures of the upper west? Who wants the humidity of the deep south? Chicago has it all. The bone biting cold with negative 4o degree windchill, the scorching summer sun turning your grass a nice shade of brown. The sweet moist air that makes those bathroom hand dryers seem inoperable- as you can stand there all day and your hands will still be wet. I mean seriously- who wouldn't want all of that? And if you don't like the weather- well just wait five minutes as it changes that quickly in Chicago.
Third- Professional Sports- not only does Chicago have pro-football and pro-basketball teams, but we have TWO pro-baseball teams. So not only do you have your rivals from other states (i.e. Cheese-heads)- but you can totally hate your neighbor if they like the wrong team.
Fourth- Our accent-- we have none. Did you know that most TV newscasters nation wide speak with a Midwest accent- or lack there of. That southern drawl, that unforgettable Jersey tone, the California valley girl--who wants it. Go for absolutely plain and normal.
Fifth- Amazing politicians. Aside from one very prominent politician from Illinois (hint- state is called the Land of Lincoln). Illinois has produced so many stellar politicians. Including the SIX former governors who have been convicted of crimes-- technically two were acquitted. Oh and don't forget about all of the elections that have been won by dead people voting in Chicago! See aren't politicians from Illinois awesome!
Who wouldn't want to live in Illinois!?! Maybe I should give up my California sunshine and move back home.
Nah- I'll let Lisa keep it.
Disclaimer: This was written in fun- as Chicago is actually one of my all time favorite cities. And I really do love that Lisa is from there.
Chicago is a wonderful town! I had such a wonderful time when I visited. You forgot to mention the great food and architecture...but I don't think I could handle the winters!
ReplyDeleteGood job, Emmy! You were right about at least a couple of things. ;o)
ReplyDelete1. The humidity of the deep south is unbearable at times.
2. The accent thing. My major in college broadcasting. They trained us to speak with the midwest non-accent. And that's incredibly hard for a bunch of born and bred Tennesseeans! :o)
BUT, I'm pretty sure you couldn't get me to leave Tennessee for Chicago ANY day. Those winters would have me curled up in the fetal position right next to the heat register! :o)
Sorry. My major in college *WAS* broadcasting. I swear I actually went to college. ;o)
ReplyDeleteI've only been to Chicage once and it was so fun. I went with friends because we all had tickets to the Oprah Winfrey show! We were staying downtown and got in a cab early the morning of the show and told him to take up to Oprah Winfrey/Harpo Studios - the only thing that stuck with him was Oprah and he was from another country and thought we said Opera so he pulled up in front of the Opera house - it was hilarious!! (He did finally get us to Oprah).
ReplyDeleteWe explored the Magnificent Mile, and went to the American Girl store. We strolled to the park and had fun "playing" at the bean!
It is a great city - a good walking city, which is something I like.
I hope I get to go back one day.
Great post! I grew up sort of by Chicago--eastern Iowa. We had the same weather and I don't miss it a bit. Though I would love to go to a Cubs game again.
ReplyDeleteHahaha! What a fun post. One day I will have to actually visit Chicago. ;) Love ya Emmy!
ReplyDelete! I love the midwest! And Chicago and CA are both on our list of desireable possible places to live next. We'll see where the job market takes us!
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Emmy!! I've only visited Chicago twice, but I can see why you love it so much!
ReplyDeleteHey, you forgot to mention the band Chicago! And Oprah! I did enjoy my visit to Chicago a few years ago, especially the downtown area.
ReplyDeleteI have never been to Chicago. (Ok, I totally said Chi-CAW-go, in my head while I wrote Chicago....lol I did it again) It's on my lists of must see places. My hubby has been there for a school business trip. I was jealous.
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
Ha! Loved the post. I've always wanted to go to Chicago. As a child, it was my dream because of Oprah. Sadly, I still have yet to make it out there... someday.
ReplyDeleteI'm from Indianapolis so Chicago was pretty much every child's aspiration for when they grew up. Chicago is amazing. It truly is my favorite city, but those winters are beyond rough. Living in Texas now though, I think I might take the winter over the 105 summers here, I was not made for the heat.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Go Chicago!