
I was always a bit judgmental.
It exploded when I became a mom. I noticed the same for my friends.
Everyone has their own ideas of what kids should be doing when. At what age. How well they should do it. How the mom should parent.
Once you become a mom, you judge your very best friends who are moms. You discuss other moms with them, sometimes mutual friends.
I was thinking about this at 3 this morning when I was carrying PJ into our bed.
He wakes up pretty much every night between 2-3 a.m. I'll lay with him in his bed and get him to fall back asleep. Most of the time, he wakes again 20 minutes later, and by the time I get downstairs to his room, he's standing, holding Handy Manny, with a sad look on his face. So I scoop him up and bring him into our bed for the rest of the night.
I've justified this by saying otherwise I won't hear Maggie when she wakes up (which is true). I've justified this by saying it's only a few hours of the night, that he spends the majority of the night in his own bed. But for some reason, this time, I thought of how my BFF would disapprove. Many of you probably would too.
See, she's never let her kids in her bed. She's also never been affected when having them cry it out. Her kids sleep well and go to bed (usually) without fuss. Which is great.
For her.
For me? Yes, I love the nights where PJ sleeps all the way through, or doesn't wake back up. But I also love the way he melts into me when I pick him up. The contented sigh as he puts his head on my shoulder. The way he snuggles up against me and holds my hand while he drifts off to sleep, comforted knowing he's safe between mommy and daddy.
And while it would bug me that other people care about this -- I mean it doesn't affect them, so why the hell does it matter? I judge my own friends for the same kinds of things.
Like my good friend who still gives her 2 year old a bottle of milk before bed, and who's bedtime is 11 p.m.
Why do I care? She knows she needs to stop the bottle. And the 11 p.m. bedtime works for her family -- she's a restaurant manager and her husband is a cop. And her son sleeps till 10 a.m. So why does this matter to me?
Or another dear friend who has no schedule for her kids at all? then complains about it? That's why I judge that one. Don't complain about it when the fact that your kids have never had a bedtime routine and have no idea when they are supposed to be winding down for bed. But otherwise, this doesn't affect me.
I'm never going to stop judging. It's human nature. But I'm going to try to stop judging the things that aren't the way they are "supposed" to be. Sure you're kids are supposed to be off a bottle before 18 months, supposed to sleep in their own beds, supposed to sit at the table and eat like well behaved kids.
But all of these moms that I judge? Their kids are loved. Immensely. Without question. Without hesitation, without waiver. Unconditionally.
Even if they sleep in our beds. Or have a bottle before bed.
I can definitely be the judgey mom. Especially when I see a mom shopping in a grocery store in PJ's and filthy kids. Then I remember those rag tag days I have when my kids haven't been bathed or brushed their teeth and I remember that mom is doing what she can just like I am. It might look messy but LIFE IS MESSY and that's what makes it great. So I try to keep my disdainful looks to myself and grant the mom with the screaming, dirty, foul-mouthed kid a little slack. Because when my day to be the bad mom is up, I hope I get the same slack :) Thanks for sharing
ReplyDeleteI appreciated this post... Honestly, the judg-y mom thing is something I totally fear, because I have spent much of my life judging everyone, and I believe that it is going to come back around to bite me in the rear big time once I have kids....
ReplyDeleteI was so judge-y before I had kids. Then I had my daughter & realized how hard this is and I told myself I wouldn't look down on other moms. We are all doing our best (or at least most of us) and what works for someone else might not work for us. But still. I was really hurt when a close friend of mine (who has a child!) made some hurtful comments b/c I wasn't doing the things she was. I'm still angry. We're supposed to help each other out here.
ReplyDelete:)
ReplyDeleteit's hard not to judge when your kid is such a rock star. ;) heh.
seriously, i hear what you're saying and agree. it's tough with blogs and Fb and message boards because it makes judging that much easier to do... and it's natural, like you said. i think it's how you act on it when it become a real issue.
Such a great point! We hate being judged but then we do the same thing to other moms. Guess what works fro them works...and that we should leave them the heck alone!
ReplyDeleteI think I'm actually less judgy now that I'm a mom. I used to be that person who would see a child crying in a store being ignored by his mother and I would give the mom dirty looks, like "Can't you see your child needs a freakin' hug?"
ReplyDeleteBut now as a parent, I get it. I understand now why some moms make the decisions they make. We all do what works for us, especially in the heat of the moment.
So that's what made me a less judgy...just knowing that every mom is doing what works best for her and her family.
I used to be judgier before I had my kids, now it's more a case of walking a mile in the other's shoes, we all have different challenges and different solutions to go with them. My first never slept in my bed, cause neither one of us could sleep in that arrangement, my second slept with me till she was seven months (I had mitigating circumstances - husband in hospital for many months) and both my kids have a bottle before bed. I'm sure many people tsk, tsk at this, but honestly, what do they care? My kids probably won't still be having a bottle when they're in college, I sure didn't and I enjoyed my nightly bottle till I was four...
ReplyDeleteOf course I do have my pet peeve (who doesn't?!) manners, can't deal with kids with no manners, and yes, I judge their moms. Eh, nobody's perfect!
Such an honest post. That gut reaction to judge- we all have it for something. It's whether we try to push our values on someone else that makes the difference.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Shell... we ALL judge internally, but its whether we put our stuff onto others. What works for each family is what matters.
ReplyDeleteEvery kid is different.
Heck, what worked for my eldest didn't work for my second kid. And after her I was too scared to try what worked for my first kid with my third kid. And ended up with up to three kids in our bed some nights!
{yeah we've knocked that on the head thankfully}
But with all the "experts" out there its very easy to assume that what works for YOU and YOUR child will work for others. Not necessarily at ALL.
My third kid is my easiest by far.
I am grateful i had him LAST or I would be thinking that his awesomeness had something to do with my superior parenting techniques! LOL
How true! Oh, I AM so judge-y, you won't believe it, my friend ;) And worst, I hate it when others judged me...ugh!
ReplyDeleteBut you're right, it's almost natural to judge, and I believe that it's because we love and care for our children so much! We ourselves try so hard to be great parents, that naturally we would have very strong opinions regarding how to raise a child. We subconsciously pat ourselves in the back whenever we see our children do something we've taught them to; and when we teach our kids, we REALLY teach them the BEST way we know how... (based on past experiences, mistakes our own parents made, etc.). We beat ourselves trying to be good parents; how much more we 'beat' others' ways of parenting when they are different than ours.
Having said that, natural as it may be to judge others, we need to remind ourselves and quickly correct our attitudes towards others once the thought comes to our minds. Fact of the matter is, unless the said parents are one of those sick psychos who abuse their children, they are also trying their best to become good parents through ways that they think are best.
Ok, better stop now ;) I'm overcrowding your comment form! lol.
Glad to have come upon your blog, and looking forward to reading more!
It is so hard not to judge. But I am the same way. And I do love it when my 5 yr old comes in and cuddles up to me. I work full time and she's getting big so fast, I cherish those little moments with her.
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome honest post. You are right- it doesn't matter why do we do it-as long as it isn't something harming the kids. I have found that with every kid I have had I do things I thought I never would and maybe once thought was "wrong" because each kid is different and so what is right is different.
ReplyDeleteStephen Covey tells a story to illustrate paradigm shift. He was on a train one morning and there was a man on the train with his 3 kids who were running around like maniacs. So the author says some thing to the father about 'why isn't he controlling his kids? Doesn't he hear them yelling and see them running around?'
ReplyDeleteThe guy looks up and says, "Yeah. Sorry. I should do something about that. My wife just died this morning and we just left the hospital. I don't know how to tell them that their mother is dead." Boom.
We all judge I judge people all the time and others are constantly judging me. I try to remind myself that everyone is struggling with something and there is a whole lot I don't know. You're so right - what is 'right' is so subjective sometimes...
It's very easy to judge from the outside until you find yourself doing one of those things you said you'd *never* do and then you shut up.
ReplyDeleteI agree...if you're going to complain about it, do something about it.