
Last week, a man named Tim LaFollette died.
Tim was 31 years old.
I never met Tim, but I watched his story unfold.
Tim had ALS. He was struck young because he was one of the 5% of sufferers who have familial ALS, where pretty much everyone in the family gets it. His grandmother and mother died from it. He knew he would too.
A web series was created to follow his story, which was how I found him.
If you'd like to learn more about ALS and tim, I'll give you a link to the first video at the end of this post.
Tim embraced his disease and did everything he could to stay alive as long as he could.
The opposite of my mom.
Which is fine with me, because people should choose what they want to do. Tim still went out, Tim still had visitors, Tim lived as long as he could, whereas my mom just didn't.
She needs hospice. Desperately. She's in pain. But she can't get pain medication without a nurse or doctor coming to the house, and she won't get it.
My stepdad. In denial that she needs it. In denial that he needs it. Because he needs help. And a break.
I've spoken with her nurse from the doctor's office, since she refuses to go to the doctor.
Jennifer tells me she's end-stage, and probably has about six months. Could be more, of course. Could be less.
She's going to die.
She could die in pan. Or she can die comfortably.
My uncle, my mom's brother, is coming in from North Carolina to visit in November. He decided this when he was here in July, figuring it would be the last time he will see her.
I think my mom will leave this world after he comes.
And I am anxious for her to.
Because it's very difficult to mourn her when she's still here.
And I've been mourning the loss of my mom for over two years.
Here is the first video of the Often Awesome series, taken right after Tim was diagnosed. Rest in peace, Tim.
Wow.
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard to try to parent your own parent, isn't it? Especially when you KNOW in your heart the right path, but they stubbornly refuse to take it. I am there too, although I am not in as drastic a situation.
Hugs and prayers are all I can offer.
That and to know you are not alone.
:)
Fondly, Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity
This is such a horrible disease...I know that any words I say won't make it better or give you peace about the situation. All I can do is hope that what will be, will be.
ReplyDeleteContinued prayers sent for your family. xo
ReplyDeleteI'm not even sure what I want to say, but I do want to reply to this. I am in awe at how you are able to process this so rationally, so intelligently. You show so much emotional strength in this post.
ReplyDeleteI just learned that a good friend of my parents was diagnosed with ALS.
Thank you for sharing this.
This is so powerfully written. I just wanted you to know that I read, and heard, you today.
ReplyDeleteI can't even imagine, thank you for sharing all of this. Will keep you all in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry about your mom. I really hope that your stepdad will get her the help that she needs. It's so hard watching someone suffer when they can at least get some kind of help. Prayers for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteI'm still so sorry Lisa. You are in such a shitty position and it is heartbreaking. I don't know why your mom is resisting hospice. Is there a counselor to come talk to her? Usually hospice centers are full of extraordinarily compassionate people. They may help her understand what hospice is and isn't. There seems to be an enormous amount of poor understanding. Regardless, I'm just so sorry.
ReplyDeleteI'm so, so sorry. I can't imagine experiencing something like that. Mourning someone when they are still with you is very difficult. I've been there, though not as extreme as you are. Hugs from across the miles!
ReplyDeleteMan...you must miss her a lot, but you've gotta be frustrated as hell. I watched that entire video and it makes me so mad that this is going on in our world. I really hope that your stepdad starts to see things for what they are really soon...acceptance is the first step to healing and right now, you're all in limbo.
ReplyDeleteHaving lost my stepmother a few years ago, I can tell you that Hospice is what brought us through to the other side...there is no other organization that is not only there for the patient, but for the family as well. I hope you get some answers soon so you can lose the anxiety and find the acceptance. <3