Wednesday, March 30, 2011

PYHO Wednesday -- Veggies


This may seem like an insignificant thing to be passionate about, but it's been a topic of discussion amongst my circle lately.

I really don't see what the big deal is about vegetables.  Husband and I eat potatoes, corn, salad (with various lettuces, cucumbers, a little tomato and onion), raw carrots and, well, thats about it in the vegetable department.  I don't force my kids to eat vegetables because I am NEVER GOING TO MAKE THEM.  I won't even make green beans, or broccoli, or cauliflower, or whatever.  PJ didn't like the pureed peas, and he was iffy on green beans.  So I didn't force them on him.  Maggie is the same.  They both loved sweet potatoes and carrots.  So that is what they'll eat.

I know, I know, vegetables are good for you, etc.  Well you know what else is good for you?  Fruit.  And my kids love fruit.  And I love fruit.  And despite the fact that husband and I are not vegetable eaters and never have been, we are both doing pretty okay.   PJ is doing pretty okay.  And Maggie will be too.  I'm not going to start pureeing vegetables and hiding them in PJ's food.  Because you know what?  He's too smart for that.  He'll find them, or taste them, and then end up not eating the food because even though he loves mac and cheese, he's not going to eat mac and cheese with chunks of green beans mashed in with it.

I don't believe in forcing my kids to eat stuff that I won't eat.  I will firmly try to have PJ and Maggie try the things I make for dinner.  PJ is picky now, but I know eventually he'll come around to eating the things I make.  But I won't ever make green beans, so why should he have to eat them now?  I don't eat those things because I don't like them.  I wouldn't want someone to make me eat something I don't like, and I am certainly not going to make my kids eat something they don't like.  Some people don't like red meat.  I love red meat.  I don't expect them to eat it.   Don't expect me or my kids to eat veggies.

5 comments:

  1. Ok. I won't!
    I have five. Only one is picky. He goes to bed hungry.
    One will eat anything BUT vegetables and fruit. And you know what.........he is perfectly healthy. He has tried them. He doesn't like them. His future wife can tackle the problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids aren't very picky, so they will eat pretty much whatever. But, there are things I don't like- like cauliflower- ew. So, I don't make it and they therefore don't eat it. I'm not concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love veggies and hubby does too. I do not like milk (nor does hubby-except on cereal) so that is what we are up against. I use milk to cook/bake. I just haven't drank any since I was six (a few exceptions if there is Nesquik, and only Nesquik-it makes it "grittier" so I can tolerate it). Who knows though. They may like veggies ;) Pureed veggies don't taste the same as most veggies. I did BLW with Alice and she is not that picky. She loves peas, green beans, corn, carrots, and occasionally broccoli.

    But no, you don't need veggies to be "healthy". As long as all vitamins are being taken care of, it shouldn't matter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My veggie hater son drinks v-8. They have new flavors and he is hooked. I hated being forced to eat food, I understand completely. I used to fall asleep because I couldn't leave the table as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. V-8 also makes juices that are actually really really good. You could even dilute them with water for the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.