Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sleeping loves.

There's something amazing about bedtime.

There's something to be said about nursing your baby to sleep, and watch him or her look at you, smile, and stop eating, just because he or she wants to smile at you.  And you smile back, because their smile melts your heart.  Then once your little happiness has eaten till their heart is content, gently lift them up and place them on your shoulder, where if you are lucky, you'll hear the blissful sigh of contentness that comes from the fact they know they are safe, loved, and happy.  You kiss their head, place them in the crib, say good night, and quietly leave the room.

There's something to be said about your almost two year old putting their head down on your lap, or maybe just leaning against your arm, as you wind down the day watching an age-appropriate movie or tv show just before they go to bed.  And when their head is in your lap, you run your fingers through their hair, or just make gentle circles on their back, so they know they are safe, loved and happy.  And then when the program is over, or bedtime is near, you pick up your toddler, who is now half your size, and they rest their head on your shoulder.  Not quite asleep, but happy to be there.  And you take them to their room, kiss them good night, and place them in bed, and start to sing.  The songs you've sang since they were just a tiny newborn and weren't quite ready to be out of your arms.  The songs that even though your voice might be terrible, they love to hear.  You sing them several times, quieter each time, until eventually you trail off and quietly leave the room.

The moment the head goes on my shoulder to the moment I leave the room are some of the most special moments of my day.  I cherish every bedtime because someday soon I will no longer be needed in bedtime.

I love you Patrick John and Maggie Marie.  There's nothing I wouldn't do for you.  Thank you for making everything in my world brighter.

2 comments:

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.