
I have two amazing children. I have a fantastic husband.
Sometimes we need help.
Last night, John had to go to the ER. He's doing fine -- he was having some severe pain and it was very concerning, so we went in and although he's still in pain, he's got pain meds and we're waiting for some test results to see if it's an infection.
Anyway. Obviously I couldn't bring PJ and Maggie to the hospital with me. So we had to ask my sister-in-law.
She came over right from work. She didn't go home to see her OWN children. To eat some dinner. To change her clothes.
She came over immediately. Our nephew came by to play with PJ for a little while.
She put my kids to sleep and waited for us to get home at nearly 11:00 last night.
She did it without thinking about it, without hesitation.
I felt bad though. Not being able to go home and see her kids after working all day. Not being able to eat dinner. John kept telling me not to feel bad, that she's his sister, that we'd do the same for her. And of course we would. But....
I'm an only child.
I've never known the closeness of a sibling, the rivalry, the love, the fun, the fighting, the teasing. It was always just me.
And as much as my SIL is a sister to me -- she really is, and I've told her so -- I've only had said "sister" for about six years.
Not my entire life.
I saw them lean on each other when their dad died. I found myself wishing I'd have someone like that to lean on when my mom dies. Someone who shared her as their mom. Someone who I could talk about childhood memories with.
I have none of that. It's just me. I don't even have a father to share my first eight years of life memories with because my biological father is a loser and I haven't seen and/or spoken to him in 14 years. My stepdad, as amazing as he is, wasn't part of my life till I was 8. And even then, not so much because I had a hard time accepting him till I was much older.
I knew early on in life that I would not have only one child. That I wouldn't subject my first born to the loneliness that I experienced -- sure, being an only child does have some perks -- but I longed for that playmate on a rainy day. Or someone to sneak out to the living room and watch movies with. Someone who I could talk to, joke with, laugh with.
Someone who would understand what it was like to lose my mom to a terrible disease, and not have her be able to be the Grandma she always dreamed of being.
I am so grateful that PJ and Maggie will always have each other. I know they will fight, not get along, go through periods where they just can't stand each other. But I also know that when they are adults, they will have each other. And that is so comforting.
So to my SIL, who will never read this, thank you. Thank you for being the sister I always wanted but never had.
i'm so glad your SIL was/is there for you guys. that is definitely what (most) family is about. this post made me sad though. for you growing up lonely, and now for my own child who will be a one and only. we ran into our landlady's sister the other day and she asked when we were having another. i told her we weren't, that Lovie was it; she said, "but she's lonely." i wanted to cry. really the way she said it was just so sad. but then i looked at Lovie and i knew she wasn't lonely. not then. someday? maybe, but not then. but now i'm reading this and am sad again.
ReplyDeleteanyway, really am SO glad your SIL was there for you guys like that. VERY awesome... but you guys are blessed in that respect. my brother or sister would never do something like that for me.
I wished my entire life to be an only child- I couldn't stand my brother, and he didn't like me. Then y dad died- and I have never been so grateful for him in my life, and sadly, it was the catalyst to change our entire relationship. Even though it's not the same, you will be able to lean on your husband and SIL- because only a true family member would have come over last night :-)
ReplyDeleteFamily is so important. You're very fortunate to have such a thoughtful and loving SIL.
ReplyDelete(visiting via PYHO)
Your sil sounds like a sweet person!
ReplyDeleteI wanted my boys to have each other, too. My brothers and I might have our ups and downs, but we are there when it counts.
I'm glad your SIL was there when you needed her and that she and your husband are so close. As far as an only child being lonely, that is a myth that has been debunked. Also, not all siblings are close and some who are live thousands of miles away and cannot help each other in a crunch.
ReplyDeleteHow great that she was there for you. Being the only child might make you appreciate her even more. I hope your husband feels better soon and there isn't anything too serious.
ReplyDeletetksharp@yahoo.com
That's wonderful your s-i-l came to help out. I'm sure she was happy to help. We had a similar experience once, but don't have family around,so I had to use neighbors. I also felt guilty, but looking back I don't think I should have. I think giving people the opportunity to serve you can be a blessing to them too.
ReplyDeleteHope your husband is doing well. :)
I envy that you have family close enough to do that. I have 3 brothers and 2 sisters, but only one lives in the same state as me and she is almost two hours away.
ReplyDeleteI hope your husband is okay!
What a beautiful tribute to your SIL - and how wonderful that your kids will have eachother.
ReplyDeleteI hope they always realize how special that is!
It's nice to remember how luck we are to have people who will drop everything to help you.
ReplyDeleteAwww this is so sweet! I'm so glad you have an awesome SIL who will be there for you no matter what.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet...it's nice that you can feel what it feels like. She sounds pretty damn awesome.
ReplyDelete