Friday, October 21, 2011

The Art of Snobbery

Let me get one thing out there. 

I hate snobs.

And by snobs, I mean the people who think they are better than everyone else, who refuse to eat at a chain restaurant because they'd rather drop $500 on a meal that is two bites and made of an animal I've never heard of, who will never buy clothes at Target, kind of snob.  (I also don't mean if you simply like trying new things so you don't do chains.  There's a difference.  And if Target clothes don't fit you right, also a difference).

Most snobs will never ADMIT they are snobs.  They will be aghast if you even so much as suggest the possibility.

However, I do think it's perfectly acceptable to be snobby in regard to certain things.  And I fully admit these things.  Keep in mind many snobs will also share these views.

For example.

  • Vodka.  I'll admit it.  Grey Goose is my vodka of choice.  I'm okay with Belvedere.  But I can tell the difference if my drink is made with Smirnoff.  I like my better vodka.
  • Steak.  I won't eat steak at Outback or Lonestar. Now that doesn't mean I won't GO to these restaurants and get something else. I just won't get steak because I love steak too much and I know where the good steak is (I'm looking at you, Ruth's Chris).
  • My kids' clothes.  I've heard all the rage about Once Upon A Child and all that jazz.  But there's something about dressing my kids in clothes that belonged to people I don't know, that came from a house that I don't know what goes on there, that I just can't do.  I will gladly take hand-me-downs from friends or family.  But as far as buying clothes?  I'll search for online discounts and buy stuff from Old Navy, Carters, Children's Place, etc.
  • Coca-Cola.  Now, I'm not sure if this one even counts.  I am a Coke drinker.  John is a Pepsi drinker.  I will not drink Pepsi.  If we go out to eat, and the restuarant has Pepsi products, I will ask if they have Dr. Pepper.  If they don't, I can stomach a fountain Pepsi.  But I won't even take a sip out of a can or bottle of Pepsi.  Something about fountain drinks makes all pop better, so it makes Pepsi tolerable.  Case in point -- when I go to any family function on John's side, I bring my own Coke because they all drink Pepsi.
Now, I have no issues with people who just drink Smirnoff, eat steak at Outback, buy clothes at Once Upon a Child, or drink Pepsi and hate Coke.  These are my snobby things.  I'm entitled to them, and you are entitled to yours.

What are you snobby about? 




10 comments:

  1. Coffee, wine and food.
    I'm one of the people who tries to avoid chains. I just don't think the food is good - good quality, daring combinations or thoughtfully prepared. We go out so seldom now that if I'm going to pay for a meal, it better be really, really freaking delicious and stimulating in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bowing down to the mention of Ruth's Chris, my savior. ;D

    Heinz ketchup.
    Honda cars.

    i'm sure there's more but that's all i got right now... ya snob. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beer, mustard, cheese, vegetables.

    Hear me out on the vegetables... I LOVE my veggies, but some carnivores seem to think that the only thing to do to a vegetable is to boil it to death. And that's just wrong. I'm totally snobby about vegetable preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cookie cutters - I have no interest in plastic ones. In fact, my favorites are the big ones with the cushioned grip.

    Bras - or more specifically, where you go to get measured for a bra. Stores with secrets - they don't train their employees to measure you properly. I only go to Dillard's to get measured for bras because I know for a fact that every one of the ladies in their lingerie department has been properly trained.

    I know there are more, but honestly, they are escaping me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My computer and cell phone all the way. Only the best Apple for me and if you have to suffer with something lesser I pity you- see total snob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I can drink Pepsi but I don't like any other rootbeer besides A&W's. Guess that makes me a rootbeer snob ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth's Chris does have a pretty good steak. I know I'm a snob about certain things, but I can't think of a good example right now, lol! But in general, I hate the attitude of snobbery--that you're better than someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Starbucks. I will make coffee at home, and it's fine, but I hate all other coffee shop coffee. Panera and Caribou taste like sewage. I'm starting to be an Apple snob- now that i've switched to a Mac, my phone is next and then I'm not ever going back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so with you on the Coke train! Pepsi is too sweet or something. Oh and I don't drink a lot of vodka...but if my husband had a choice he would always choose the Goose b/c he says it is so smooth. Oh and you know lots of times that I have been to consigment sales and the clothes are more expensive than ones I can get new on sale! Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm snobby about the soda...need diet Coke (almost wrote "cock"...awesome).

    I won't go to those sales either.

    I'm slowly turning into an iSnob.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.