
Now that I've been a mom for three years, I laugh at the thing I said I'd never do. Or would do and never did.
1. I will NEVER allow my child to sleep in my bed.
Dude. If said child is only going to stay asleep if they are next to you in your bed, and everyone will get to continue sleeping, guess what? Kid is sleeping in my bed.
2. I will not make separate meals for my kids.
Um. I want my child to eat. It takes 2 minutes to make grilled cheese.
3. I will always make sure my child's hair is brushed before we leave the house.
Sometimes this happens. Sometimes is doesn't. Sometimes my own hair doesn't get brushed.
4. I will not use candy as a bribe.
What? If I give you this reese's, sucker, m&m, you'll stop crying? Here you go!
5. I will strictly enforce timeouts.
You sat there for ten seconds. yeah, that's good enough.
6. I will not buy my kid something in the store just to shut them up.
So I can spend $1 and have a quiet, peaceful shopping trip, or save the $1 and have you screaming and struggling for freedom while everyone else gives me dirty looks? That, my friends, is a dollar WELL SPENT.
7. I will never have to leave a restaurant because a child is misbehaving.
Let's just say there's certain restaurants we won't be going to anytime soon since they seem to be prone to the freakout.
I am sure there are more, but today, this is what I got.
What are some of yours?
I have done all of those too! I am so dissapointed in myself.
ReplyDeleteOne I thought I would never do.......I swore they wouldn't watch SpongeBob. Needless to say, my ex MIL let them once and we haven't turned back. It turns out to be some pretty productive time for me. Even if we have seen every episode 458 times.
The most vocal child rearing experts are those who have no children. Then they get children, and reality sets in.
ReplyDeleteOh how everything changes once your in the moment with the kiddos. You do what you gotta do to survive!
ReplyDeleteI'm right there with you, sister!!!!! I've said those same things too and my how things have changed!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove your new header!!!!
Yep. It's funny how we're all experts until we actually have kids.
ReplyDeleteI've done every single one of these!
ReplyDeleteholy shit is your new header adorable!!! :)
ReplyDeletenever is a long-ass time. ;)
I laughed out loud at number 3. I'm pretty sure the only person who brushes Ada's hair is the nanny. I haven't brushed my own hair in at least three days - a fact right there.
ReplyDelete#2 is my biggie. I was DEAD SET against it. Now?
ReplyDeleteMac n' cheese takes all of ten minutes. PB&J is like, ninety seconds.
You won't eat the keugle? Fine. Here's a sandwich.
I'm totally over it. :P
Add about 50 more things to the list and you'll have my parenting style nailed down.
ReplyDeleteYep. Pretty much all those and then some. The hair...oh the hair! I have a love/hate relationship with my boys hair. Sometimes I wish I could just chop it off short but my boys are not short hair boys. (or maybe that's just me) And restaurants? We stick to Extreme Pita or McDonald's.
ReplyDeleteMe too - pretty much all of them and more. Great list.
ReplyDeleteHaha I don't have kids, but I try to have as few of those as possible because i know they'll come back bite me...
ReplyDeleteI have said all of those and have since broken every single one. Happy kid = happy mom. And that wins.
ReplyDeleteLOL-can relate to pretty much all of those.
ReplyDeleteAmen to all.
ReplyDeleteI was talking about this with someone yesterday. I promised myself I would never make my FB picture be just of my child. I really didn't want to do it, but he was so darn cute!
ReplyDeleteA few of those are on my list. I don't have kids yet....and now I don't know that I have much hope for sticking to the list! I suppose reality always changes our preconceived ideals.
ReplyDeleteI thought I would never use one of those backpacks with the leash. I mean, what kind of parenting is that, right?? Then I had my son. Now it is starting to seem like a pretty good idea.
ReplyDeleteHa! I'm with you on the spending $1 to save a massive hissy fit in a store. My son also has about 50 Hot Wheels cars that we used as potty bribes. It was the only way, dammit! I didn't want to be pooped on anymore. Sue me! ;)
ReplyDeleteLoved your list.
I have done all of these and many, many more. I have a pregnant coworker who is full of nevers these days and I just sit in my office chuckling when I hear her talking. We all say we'll never, then we do, then we admit it!
ReplyDeleteI have these moments of humility often, since I was in my 30s when I had my kid and had plenty of time to be an opinionated jerk. :)
ReplyDeleteI will never turn the TV on in the car when we aren't going on long trips - still doesn't happen all the time - but in a pinch a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do. NEVER say never... ever :)
ReplyDeleteHaha good ones you've got there!
ReplyDeleteI swore I'd never give my son French fries.
He eats French fries once a week for lunch. Oops.
Awesome! The justifications for reinforcing bad behavior. Hey, pick your battles, right?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reality check. It's so true!
ReplyDelete