Wednesday, February 15, 2012

PYHO: Why is Valentine's Day so important?



I'm not a big celebrater of Valentine's Day.  We exchange cards, because I'm a huge card person.  We go out to dinner around V-Day, because our engageversary is February 7.

I don't get it though.  Why is it so important your significant other acknowledge a day someone else created?  A day filled with crowded restaurants, too expensive flowers, cheesy heart-shaped jewelry?

I personally prefer my husband makes a bigger deal out of the days that are significant to US. 

To our relationship.

The day we became a couple.

The day we got engaged.

The day we got married.

These are days I expect to be remembered.  Days that don't matter to anyone else but us.  Days that when I hear or see that date, I smile and remember a little of that day. 

Because really, Valentine's Day?  Unless it's one of those days, it's more for me to give candy to my kids. 

9 comments:

  1. I'd rather get random "I Love You" just because flowers then I bought you flowers because Hallmark said I should flowers. Those are much more meaningful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. My husband and I were talking about this yesterday. I'd much rather have him get me something on a random day b/c he was thinking about me or get him something on a random day- just to say hey, I love and appreciate you- total surprise and a sweet gesture. Not because we feel like we HAVE to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, though I should mention- I never turn down gifts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Word. We stopped doing gifts a long time ago. Pie did get me a heart shaped box of candies...but then took it back to eat herself. So I'm not sure that counts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why we make it more a family day of love. Eric did get me flowers, but he also got some for Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree. I would much rather have those little gestures on any random day, or on a day that's special to just us. Valentines Day is completely hyped up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right to celebrate the days that are important to you as a couple. My husband and I celebrate them too, but we also make a little bit of a fuss for Valentine's Day for our children. We give the children a small gift and eat a family dinner in the dining room off the fancy plates. We want the boys to see how to treat their future wife and our daughter to see that she should be treasured. But you are absolutely right that this can be done everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a big Valentine's Day fan either. It's much too "tween-y" for me. This year I didn't want my husband to make a big deal at all--I just asked that he not buy a card b/c the price of cards is so ridiculous. So he found a freebie one online and printed it out for me. I loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude, we do nothing. The only person in our celebrating on Tuesday was the nanny, which was very sweet. Honestly, if Tim spent 500% more on flowers just because he felt like on this one day he had to prove that he loved me? I'd be totally pissed!! Seriously, he comes home to me every night. He;s put his sperm in a cup because I wanted another baby - I know the guy loves me.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.