Wednesday, November 9, 2011

PYHO: The Power of Prayer



I don't believe in God.

I went to a Catholic school for 13 years.  I had the Catholic religion shoved down my throat at every turn.

I think the Bible is a great story.  I mean, you have to be pretty creative to come up with it.

I have nothing against people who believe in God, who are devout Catholics, or even somewhat-practicing Catholics.  I have good friends that are very religious.  I have no problems with this.

I just don't feel that I need to go to a specific building to express my beliefs.  I believe in being a good person.  I believe there is something out there, something that created the world, created us, the animals, the beauty of nature.  I just don't believe in God/Jesus/etc.

We got married in a Chapel where God was not mentioned at all except perhaps maybe in passing.  PJ and Maggie were baptized at the same place; not because we believe in the "washing away original sin" idea, but because we wanted them to be able to choose, wanted them to have a ceremony where their godparents were honored, and wanted them to be able to get married in a Catholic Church if they so choose.

However, I find myself praying.  I don't know what or who I'm praying to.  I don't carve out time in a day to do it.  I'll just be sitting around and think

Please let this end soon.

I can't stand to see her like this anymore.

Please end the suffering.

When someone dies or is sick, I see many people say things like "I'll keep you in my prayers."  Me?

"I'll keep you in my thoughts."

And I do.  But I can't say prayers, because I don't have prayers.

But today, I ask you.

I ask you, if you pray, if you have prayers, to pray for an end.

Pray that my mom's suffering ends soon.

Pray that those who love her don't have to see her this way anymore.

Pray that I can finally finish mourning her.

12 comments:

  1. I've been praying and will continue to. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will all pray for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't pray either but I will absolutely keep you in my thoughts. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do truly believe in the power of prayer and will keep her in my prayers for sure. I am so sorry you are all going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't pray either, but I think do about you, your family, your mom often. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do a lot of praying but in this case I'll make an exception. (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My beliefs are convoluted and often misunderstood. I believe in the power of prayer, but I don't believe that's a power I have. However, I will keep her in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do believe in God and in the power of prayer. I'm so sorry you're hurting, sweets. I will be saying a prayer for your family. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your point of view is completely understandable! I'll keep your mother in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.