Friday, April 15, 2011

Showering with the door closed.

In my first 29 years of life, I never realize that showering with the door closed is a luxury.

Usually, both PJ and Mags are sleeping when I get up to shower.  I wake them up after I have finished getting ready.  My morning goes smoothly. I still take a quick shower, still leave the door cracked, but the door is mostly closed and I am alone.

Sometimes, like today, they wake early.  And it's never one.  If one wakes up, it's no doubt the other will wake up within 5 minutes.  And my hopes of a door closed shower are dashed.

Our bathroom is the size of a couple stalls.  Seriously.  Brian Urlacher would not fit to pee in our bathroom.  So I put on Handy Manny for PJ, give him some grapes and juice, stick Maggie in her high chair and drag her into the bathroom so she can hear and see me when I poke my head out.  Thus, the door is wide open. 

Sometimes PJ comes in, and throws toys in for me (he's very thoughtful).  Sometimes he brings a cup and wants me to fill it with water so he can pour it out.  Maggie is usually content while I take my 4 minute shower.  And then I have to get ready as quickly as possible to prevent any screaming or crying.

My mornings when they are asleep are much calmer.  Easier.  I feel more prepared for the day.

But the mornings like this?  When I get to spend an extra 26 mintues with them because they got up early?  They're pretty awesome.

4 comments:

  1. I have no kids, and no alone time in the bathroom. My cat can open the door and does, because he likes to lay on the bathmat. And then the dog comes in to help lick me dry. It's pure awesome-ness. Not really. And when I take a bath? They both just sit and stare at me, then try to drink my bath water. Having a baby in there would actually be easier...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a sweet way to look at it!

    I need to shower alone... so I have to shower at night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a precious way to look at it! I have to have peace in the shower so I have to get in there before my husband leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I shower when Alice is awake, which is usually the case, I have to put her in with me. She would probably break her neck from climbing in the few minutes I was away.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.