It's time for our weekly PYHO, thanks to Shel.
I am tired of pity parties. They aren't fun. They in no way reflect how I want to spend one iota of my time.
It's one thing to bitch. Life sucks sometimes. Bitch away. Bitch about your job, your boss, bitch about not having enough money, your husband sitting on the couch playing video games, bitch about the fact that your kids are in that "I do whatever I want stage", bitch, bitch, bitch. I will gladly join in bitchfest with you, because lord knows we all have something to bitch about.
It's when you start whining, start saying those vague statements, or posting vague FB statuses, where it's obvious you want pity, that I don't give a fuck anymore.
"It's so hard to be happy when everything is going wrong."
Really? Am I supposed to say something caring like, "Oh honey, chin up! It'll get better!" or better yet, "Oh NO! WHAT HAPPENED?" so you can tell me your sob story and I can feel sorry for you. Neither is going to happen. When you unleash your pity statements, I suddenly go deaf. I no longer care about anything you have to say, because I do not want to come to your pity party. Don't say the open ended things so I can ask you what's going on. (Big sigh) "I haven't had any time to even watch Grey's because I've just been so busy." I'm not going to ask you what you've been doing. But if you say, "I've been so fucking busy at work I haven't even watched Grey's. (SPOILER ALERT) what the fuck happened to Callie??" I will GLADLY indulge you. I will even bash your work that I know nothing about. Because you are bitching. Because yes, your life sucks right now, but when you bitch you are putting the attitude that you realize that although your life is crappy now, you realize that OTHERS are having hard times as well, and a lot probably harder times than you. When you have a pity party, you think you are the only one. And let's be real. You're not. Someone has it worse. Probably a lot of someones.
Some people, who I DO feel sorry for, never have the pity party. Most of the time, the things they deserve to be sad about aren't even the things that bitch about. And then there's the ones who complain and whine about things that in reality aren't even worth it.
So the next time you want to whine, make a vague statement that is begging for me to inquire, do me a favor. Send the invitation to someone else.
girl, you are DAMN good at these PYHO posts. DAMN good. :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVED this- especially the FB thing. I am so over FB drama queens!! Well said!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh I hate those statements! It always makes me want to put up some smart remark, I usually have to click off so I don't. Pity parties are only fun for the person hosting - not anyone else!
ReplyDeleteStopping by from PYHO
I'm coming over from your comment on my post and I'm so glad I did! You have me hooked now! This post could not have been said any better!!! These little pity parties that people like to throw for themselves are the very reason why I can't stand Facebook anymore! If you bitch, I'll be sure to join in. But I can definitely do away with the pity party!
ReplyDeleteGlad I've found you! Looking forward to reading more! :)
Oh, those vague fb statuses drive me INSANE.
ReplyDelete"Someday, things will get better for me."
REALLY? I just ignore stuff like that. But, tell me "My kids are puking all over the house and I really just want to hide in the closet with a bottle of wine." And I reply. ;)
Shell, EXACTLY.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more! I have a friend who likes to post things like "I wish somebody cared" . . . fifteen minutes after I send her a message asking her what she's up to. I'm so ready to delete her from fb and be done with it.
ReplyDeleteStopping by from PYHO! :)
Stopped by via the PYHO linky... all I can say is Amen, sister!
ReplyDeleteAmen! And my own mother is the worst "the world has shit on me" attitude! Ugh!
ReplyDeleteOh that attitude is so, so hard to deal with. You have to wonder what goes on in their heads.. ugh!
ReplyDelete