Wednesday, September 7, 2011

PYHO: The end of an era.



It's over.

I'll never have to worry about it again.

I'll never have to carve out 45 minutes of my day to find a private place to sit for 12-15 minutes.

I'll never have to worry about spilling.

I'll never have to worry about getting enough.

I'll never have to be sure I have enough so I can go out Saturday night.

I AM DONE PUMPING.

My baby girl is drinking milk like a big girl.  She is still nursing 3 times a day, but I am no longer producing enough milk during a pumping session so we are on straight up milk.  At 11 months.

It's glorious.

I nursed and pumped for PJ till he was 11.5 months old -- I was pregnant with Maggie and it was just time to stop.

 Maggie will be done nursing by the end of this month, just shy of her first birthday.

I nursed and pumped for two years of my life.

When I wasn't nursing or pumping, I was pregnant.

My boobs have not been mine since July 2008.

Soon I will get them back.

I am PROUD of myself.  I am proud to have nursed and pumped for so long with both of my children.  I am proud they never received any formula.

I have no issues with moms who don't breastfeed, for whatever reason -- they can't, they don't want to, whatever.   Every mom is different, and you do whatever works for you and your baby and that is your decision.

But that doesn't make me any less PROUD of me.

I feel like some people may read this and be offended, because I am gloating about my success with breastfeeding.  Breastfeeding is hard.  It takes a lot of time.  It puts a lot more work in mom's hands when no one else can feed the baby.  Pumping is even harder.  I have friends who have jobs that simply will not allow them to take three 15 minute breaks a day to pump.  This doesn't make them any less awesome of a mom.  It's what works for them and their baby.

So I turn my pump over to a good friend.  The pump, which has been my companion for two years. 

I used a new bag for work today.  Just a regular old bag.

I threw away bottles, breastshields, valves and membranes.

And I breathed a sigh of relief.

And felt a surge of pride.

Because it's the end of an era in my life.  And dammit, I'm proud.

8 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you too! Breastfeeding is hard...and especially if you are working and having to pump. You had some determination gal...enjoy those pump free days now! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Good for you and you have every right to feel proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you should be! You did more work than many would be willing to do- good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! That is a great accomplishment! I am PROUD of you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great accomplishment!

    I was pregnant/bf/both for a long time... and wow, was it nice to get my body back to myself when it was over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, that is a great victory!! You SHOULD be proud. Breastfeeding is super hard in the beginning and you feel very tethered. I'm glad I kept at it too, but there are times when I'm ready to stop. Just 4 more months. I've done this for 8 months, so I can go just a little longer, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of dedication! Good for you! Glad it's over too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome! I could only make it 3 months with the Crazies and that was WITH supplementing and I was never so happy to say goodbye to an electronic device. That pump made me nuts! You're a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.