Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Who would have thought a phone number could make you cry.

I was sitting here at work, ecstatic about the beautiful weather, when my phone rang.

I looked over at the phone and saw the number on the Caller ID.

It was my mom's cell phone.

My mom can't make phone calls.  I picked up the phone in a panic.

"Hello?"  I couldn't say Hi, Mom, because I knew it wouldn't be her.

It was Linda, her best friend, who I've known since I was in the womb.

She visits my mom every Tuesday. 

I wrote a message to my mom in her Mother's Day card.  I told her not to read it while I was there, to read it when she was ready, because it would probably make her cry (ALS makes you cry and/or laugh uncontrollably, my mom is more of the crier).

She waited till today, till Linda came over to read it.

She had Linda call to tell me it was totally totally awesome.  And she loved me very much.

I told her what a great mom she was.  I told her how hard it was for me to see her in pain and suffering, and how I am sorry I don't come by as much as I should but it's so difficult for me to see her that way.  I told her I couldn't imagine what she's going through but I could never find enough words to tell her how much I loved her.

I told her that she showed me what it means to be a terrific mom.  And that I'll spend my life trying to be half as good as she was.

I could hear her crying in the background.

Me?  I'm in tears because the last time she actually called me I didn't realize it would be the last time. 

This time, I know.

5 comments:

  1. That made me cry. My heart breaks for you. At least you have those wonderful memories to cherish forever. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, and I love that you wrote what you did and were able to finally tell her exactly how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ::hugs::

    I know card made her very happy and she loves you more than anything.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.