Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sleeping.

My kids are RELATIVELY good sleepers.  I keep reading all this stuff about how to make sleeping better, etc.

PJ won't fall asleep on his own.  Meaning, if we put him in bed awake, he won't just go to sleep.  He'll cry if we leave the room.  Sometimes he falls asleep on his own on the couch, and then he stays asleep.

Sometimes, it takes 5 minutes of one of us being in the room to get him to fall asleep.  Most of the time, 10.  Once in a while 20-30. 

He also usually wakes up once a night.

Does it suck?  Sometimes.  Yes, sometimes I'd like him to sleep straight through.  I'd like to just put him in bed and have him fall asleep on his own.  This is probably my fault, though because as a baby and as a new mom not being able to stand hearing him cry, I always put him to bed asleep.  I've learned, and Maggie will go to sleep on her own if I put her down awake.  Hopefully she'll continue to do so into her toddler years.

But, in 5 years, or whatever, when he doesn't need me in there anymore to cuddle with, when I won't get to listen to his breathing and rub his back because he doesn't want me to, I'm going to be grateful that I got to spend 10 minutes a day laying next to my little guy, giving him the comfort and safety he needs to feel to fall asleep.

So yeah, I might be able to get another piece of cleaning done, or have 20 more minutes to relax if PJ just went to sleep on his own.  But it's okay.   I've got the rest of my life to sleep good.

5 comments:

  1. I love the spin in your blog posts...always ending in a positive tone. You are such a good mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the days when I work, this is usually the only time I get with Ada all day long. She can take all the time she needs...
    Sometimes I need more time than she does and I just hold her and watch her. I cherish that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so so true. I find myself getting frustrated with my kids when they won't fall asleep without me, but then I remember that this won't go on forever. One day they won't need me. And then I cuddle them a little closer, savoring the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do you always make me feel guilty right before I'm about to blog/complain about something??? It's uncanny!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.