Wednesday, May 18, 2011

PYHO: Don't be a guy.

 

Linking up with the always awesome Shell at Things I Can't Say for PYHO again today.

"Don't be a guy.   The world is full of guys.  Be a man."

For those of you who don't know Lloyd Dobler, stop reading this, go to Netflix, find Say Anything, and watch it, then come back and read.  Or read this first.

Anyway, I am still convinced Lloyd Dobler is the perfect man.  He's charming, funny, sweet, loving, cute, smart and ROMANTIC.  And not in the cheesy, ew, makes your friends fake vomit romantic.  The perfect-kind-of-romance-for-the-girl-he-loves-romantic.

My husband?  Not so much.

My husband doesn't get me flowers often (read three times in six years together), he doesn't buy me cards for no reason (even though I love cards), he doesn't pick up my favorite candy bar when he's out at lunch just to give me a surprise when I get home.

Me?  I buy him cards for no reason quite often, I'll pick up his favorite candy bar, I'll buy him a couple glass bottles of Pepsi when I see them, I think of him often while I'm out and about and will get or do something for him to show him that.

I get mad sometimes, that he's not more romantic.  That he doesn't tell me how pretty I look without prompting (usually).  That he gets aggravated that I insist on cards for every holiday/birthday, etc.  That he can't just get me one fucking gerber daisy once in a while. I know flowers die, but geez.  ONE GERBER DAISY?

But then I remember.

Every single card he's given me. And they are always the best, most true cards ever, and always better than the ones I get for him (although I'm convinced Hallmark just makes better cards for women than men since women are the more likely recipients).  The times he's given me two - one sweet, sentimental one and one that was a little raunchy, or funny, but he saw it and it made him think of me or us, and he bought it.

The fact that although he rarely buys me flowers, he will always run out and get me Hostess Cupcakes (my favorite before bed snack) at 7-11 if I don't have any at home.

The fact that he calls me sweet pea, because I love that nickname.

The fact that when we are out in a group, he'll rest his hand on the small of my back, and when I'm telling a story that I'm emotional about, he'll ever so slightly rub it.

The fact that although he doesn't tell me I'm pretty without prompting, he constantly says to Maggie "You're so pretty baby girl.  Just like your mama."

And you know what?  That's The perfect-kind-of-romance-for-the-girl-he-loves-romantic.

12 comments:

  1. A while back I did a whole think on chick flicks and how they can cause women to have unreal expectations of men and romance. I've come to the same conclusion as you--my man might not be Joe Fox or Lloyd but HE IS MY MAN and he's loving just how I need it. Thanks for the reminder. I want a man and a marraige--not a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww so sweet. The last one got me, how he tells your daughter she is so pretty just like her mommma.

    Good for you for recognizing all the romantic things he does in his own way and not trying to change him into the traditional romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ack, that last one got me all choked up! damnit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't appreciate flowers and cards as much as the next woman. But you are right, it's those unexpected things, like when he supports me with the kids, or he tells me he liked one of my posts. Those are the things that are important to me. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly believe it's the little things that matter anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet! Sometimes I think I know what kind of romance I need, but then the hubs does something so unexpected, original and thoughtful and WHAM! I'm all googly eyed! Latest thing- when I got home a few days ago, he was out in the driveway with our 9 month old, playing that Peter Gabriel Song, "In Your Eyes"! Glad you've got a sweet hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a touching post. Lovely :-) especially the telling Maggie she is beautiful like you.

    The message to your mom was moving.

    And Happy 7 Months to Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely the little things that count!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw :-)
    I don't get a lot of "typical" romance either. this was a good reminder to (try) and see the romance in the everyday stuff. Sometimes it's hard to find it over the endless socks that get left all over the place... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband's not much of a romantic either. I have to 'remind' him to buy cards for birthdays, Valentines, Christmas, anniversaries etc...I never get flowers, but he is constantly striving to create the best life for me and our daughter. He works so hard and is so ambitious, and for me, that's better than any Hallmark card :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that - isn't great when we remember that we love our husbands??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sweet...I hope he read that!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.