People often wonder why America is failing as a nation.
I'll tell you why.
One of the "trending" topics on various internet news sites?
Snooki has lost her tan for her baby.
This is important to people.
I am PROUD to say I have never seen an episode of Jersey Shore. What I know of Snooki and the rest of those morons I've learned from Conan.
These people get paid for being assholes on tv. For being so ridiculously stupid and unbelievable. And because people watch them, continuously, they gain fame for nothing.
I wish the story of the little girl, Isabel Celis, from Arizona who was taken from her bed was "trending." Maybe then someone would be able to help find her. This story shakes me to my very core. A parents' worst nightmare. This, in my opinion, is even worse than your child getting taken from you at a store or park. This is from their OWN HOME. In her bedroom. A place, where you assume your children are safe.
Since hearing this story, I've checked and rechecked the locks on the kids windows. I've given them extra kisses good night. I've checked on them in the middle of the night. My heart aches for these parents.
But the majority of the people in this country, when asked who Isable Celis is, will look at you blankly. Ask them who Snooki is, and they'll go on and on.
This is why we are failing.
Amen, sister! I am amazed when I click on a news site & half of the top stories are entertainment...and more than that, they are BIG articles about what someone said (Rosie O'donnell commenting on whether she thinks Lindsay Lohan should play Liz Taylor in a made for TV movie) or is thinking of doing (I might go on vacation here this year instead of there) or some insignificant thing like that. Drives me insane.
ReplyDeleteAmen, sister! I am amazed when I click on a news site & half of the top stories are entertainment...and more than that, they are BIG articles about what someone said (Rosie O'donnell commenting on whether she thinks Lindsay Lohan should play Liz Taylor in a made for TV movie) or is thinking of doing (I might go on vacation here this year instead of there) or some insignificant thing like that. Drives me insane.
ReplyDeleteThat story scares me to death. It is so very frightening.
ReplyDeleteNo kidding. Our priorities are definitely out of whack.
ReplyDeleteRight on. It's a pretty damn sick society we live in. I am proud to say I've never watched that crap either or Housewives of anything. I think if I did, I would probably seriously damage my television from objects being flown at it over and over again.
ReplyDeleteWasn't this a tactic of the Romans? If the you keep the people busy with entertainment like feeding the Christians to the lions then they won't be bothered to notice what's happening in their government. That totally seems to be all too true.
ReplyDeleteBut in the case that you mentioned, this seems to be a total failure of our society, of our communities...of basic empathy and sympathy. Terribly disappointing.
Oh Peeper's comments gave me chills- as she is right! I have never watched it either- and yes it is wrong.
ReplyDeleteAnd what drives me crazy is that when there is real news all of the people that comment just spend time trying to insult the other people more than think about solutions and how they can help!
Oh I am SO with you on this one. Remember I had a rant about snooki a while back. I don't get it?!
ReplyDeleteI've never watched Jersey Shore but from what I've seen of Snooki, she's a complete idiot.
ReplyDeleteThe story of the missing little girl is truly sad and terrifying. I can't even imagine what her family is going through. I pray they find her safe.