Wednesday, December 7, 2011

PYHO: All I Want for Christmas



This year, by far, is the Christmas I have most looked forward to.

PJ knows who Santa is.  He knows what presents are, and he is starting to understand Christmas, and all that jazz.  He and Maggie love the Christmas tree.  We had so much fun Christmas shopping for them. I am sure we spent entirely too much, but I don't care.  I love them so much, I want to see their little faces light up, see how excited PJ is when he opens his new train, dinosaur, etc. Maggie's face when she sees her new Minnie Mouse doll that talks to her, her first dollhouse.

I look forward to getting up on Christmas morning and watchng my normally sleepy-eyed, take a few minutes to realize it's morning kids be just bundled in excitment and joy.

Nothing will replace their joy at that moment.

And yet, there is sadness over our Christmas.

This is our first Christmas without John's dad.  It's the last "first" holiday without him, as he's been gone almost a year.  Thanksgiving was rough.   Christmas will be harder.

Christmas with my parents is nothing like it used to be.  My mom always has gone nuts for Christmas.  Ridiculous amounts of presents.  Unfortunately, she got sick before she could have the joy of Christmas with her grandchildren.  She was already unable to wrap or shop like she normally would in 2009, PJ's first Christmas.

We used to go there on Christmas Eve, around 9, have a couple cocktails, some snacks, and open presents.  We'd laugh, and tell stories, and I'd hope upon hope she'd like whatever I got her that year.  John would be flabbergasted at the amount of gifts.  We'd leave around midnight, and she and my stepdad would finish open their gifts from each other.

It's much different now.  We'll be going there at 11 in the morning.  The kids will have gifts that I ordered for her.  We'll have some gifts, but probably most likely gift cards and/or cash.  I told her not to get us anything, but to no avail.  Money and buying us things is the only thing she has control over.   It would upset her if I asked her to stop.

All I want for Christmas is my mom to no longer be suffering.  I don't want  her to go through another month, week, day, hell another MINUTE living this hell on earth that she is enduring.  I can't get what I really want, which is her to be healthy.  So instead I want her to be at peace.

Those of you who have mothers that drive you crazy, or mothers who are making your holiday plans difficult, please stop.  Think.  I would give anything for my mom to be driving me crazy right now. I know it's easy to say this in my situation, but if my mom being well meant she had to drive me crazy every single day, I'd take it.

12 comments:

  1. I hope you can manage to have a nice holiday anyway. Focus on what you do have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. big hugs, mama. keep focusing on those kiddos and the magic they bring upon this season. i, too, hope and pray for peace for your mom. every day i do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you can still have a nice holiday season. And like Shell said, Focus on what you do have.

    Sara

    mommysummers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i hear ya. my momma is kooky and nutty, but i treasure every moment with her. every single one. wish she lived closer to me.
    hope you find some joy this christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mom had breast cancer and finished her chemo and radiation treatment last year at Christmas. She and my Dad have visited us in Florida and stayed at our house many times since then to visit with my baby boy, and as much as it drives me crazy sometimes then being around, I just think about what it could have been like without her. I agree, we should all cherish our mamas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope you are able to enjoy the holiday...I know it's hard to watch you Mom go through this especially during the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine how difficult this Christmas will be but hopefully the smiles on your children's faces will replace any sadness you may feel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reminder to really cherish our families. I know I've said it before, but I'm really this year has been so rough for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom can certainly drive me crazy, but I'm thankful she's still here with me. I'm so very sorry you're going through. I know I've said that before, but I really mean it. Your story breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom was crazy but I still wish I had her here - alive and healthy and whole. When she was sick it was torture. I'm glad that if that disease was destined to take her life it did so quickly. I'm glad that you have John, PJ, and Maggie to focus on now and I hope it helps you have a good Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes your kids will help Christmas be so much more fun inspite of all that is happening. I hope you are able to have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is "hell on earth." You hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.