I have a new goal in life. I feel like I am a pretty good mama. I realize I haven't had teenagers yet who hate me, but nonetheless, I think I am pretty kick ass. I have a goal to continue to be a kick ass mama for all my years.
However, I now have a new goal.
It's a very, very important goal. A goal I think PJ and Maggie will appreciate very much in the future. Along with their future spouses.
My new goal? To be a kickass, non intrusive, non judgemental, non bitchy MOTHER-IN-LAW.
I don't feel this will be difficult to achieve. I feel, that as long as I follow the list of things below, I will be good.
Disclaimer: some of these have happened to me, some to friends of mine, or to friends of friends. However, I think they are all under what not to do as a MIL.
1. I will not tell my future daughter in law that her child spends "too much time with her" and take said child away.
2. I will not tell my future daughter in law that she needs to "cut the connection" her child has with her because "it's ridiculous."
3. I will not complain to my future daughter in law about Maggie.
4. I will not turn down my son or daughter if they ask me to watch my grandchildren because I am not working. I will also not charge them to do so.
5. I will be sure to see my grandchildren on a very regular basis; regardless if they live 5 or 30 minutes away from me.
6. I will offer to take my grandchildren overnight so PJ and his wife or Maggie and her husband can have a much needed night off.
7. I will not buy Maggie or my future daughter in law lingerie in hopes that "they will make me a grandkid."
8. I will not make my children and their spouses fear telling me they are expecting.
9. I will understand when my kids need to leave because my grandchildren need to go home and get to bed.
10. I will not keep my grandchildren up past their bed time so I can spend more time with them, because I will be practicing #5 above.
11. I will not insist on getting Christmas lists from my kids so they know exactly what I am getting them.
12. I will not speak badly about anyone in the family who my kids are close to but that I do not like.
I am sure there are more, but I think if I keep these 12 in check, I am good to go.
What do you promise not to do as a MIL?
This is a great list, and it makes me want to go hug my MIL. She's amazing, and I'm so grateful!!!
ReplyDeleteI promise to not try to diagnose everyone in my family with a mental illness and tell them they need medication and/or counseling. I love my MIL, I really do. And I enjoy spending time with her. At this point, this continual behavior is a family joke.
ReplyDeleteYou are going to be a great MIL! I am one of the lucky ones that has a great one...and who watches my son once a week. It's definitely a blessing!
ReplyDeleteI will not live with my daughter-in-law. I will not ask her when she is going to have kids.
ReplyDeleteYou'll be a great mother in law :)
Number 7? Is that for real?? Gross! I want to be a good MIL too and hope for that I can just be happy for my kids and their spouses.
ReplyDeleteBut here's one for ya: I'll not talk to my daughter-in-law about my wedding night. Ew.
I lucked out and got a great MIL.
ReplyDeleteSome of the things on your list made me laugh, but I've heard them too. Some people are just ridiculous!
Wow...looks like the holidays hit early for the O'gs! This is horrible! Family...the other f-word.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to try my hardest not to be a crazy MIL! I don't know how I will react when someone else comes along and takes my babies away from me! BUT, I'm the type of person that gets along with everyone and doesn't like drama, so I think I will do just fine!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog, btw, I'm returning the favor!!
http://madamsarcasm.blogspot.com/