Wednesday, December 14, 2011

PYHO: The Joy



Though the weather here in Chicago would lead one to believe otherwise, Christmas is a mere 11 days away. 

I've bought almost all my gifts.  We've started wrapping.  The decorations and tree have been up.

I see PJ's face light up every time he sees Santa.  I laugh when he turns our musical Santa on, and when I go to turn it off, he says "No. Bad Mama.  Santa on."

I can't help but smile at Maggie's excitement looking at the Christmas tree.  How she giggles and claps and bounces up and down.

The joy.  The joy of Christmas.

I'm about to be kind of rowdy here.

I'm so tired of the people who "hate" Christmas.  Who "dread" the holidays.  I'm not saying it's not stressful.  I'm not saying there's not drama to be had.  But hating it?  Hating what exactly?

Is it the shopping?  That's what the internet is for.  Is it the trying to figure out a gift?  Again, that's what the internet is for.  Is it because you don't want to deal with your family?  That's crap.

Now I realize some people have REALLY SHITTY FAMILIES.  However, I believe you are not stuck with the family you are born into.  If your blood family sucks, you're telling me there's no other family in your life? No friends?  No one that will bring joy to your holiday?

Having kids, Christmas is more joyful than ever.  I can hardly wait to see their faces light up Christmas morning, watch PJ tear through presents while Maggie plays with the paper.  I am excited to give John his gifts and to receive mine from him.  I'm looking forward to sitting on the floor and putting together toys and listening to Christmas music and just taking in the joy.

There are people who have almost nothing. People who have to rely on the donations of others to get gifts for their children.  And these people, these people who have all the right in the world to be angry at the world, aren't.  They experience the joy.

So I encourage you this Christmas to remember to experience the joy.  If you have children, to really take in and absorb the excitement on their faces.  The happiness, wonder, amazement they have when they first see your tree Christmas morning.  Maybe it will take you back to your childhood.  Maybe you can smile and know that they will be able to share this memory with your grandchildren one day.  And if you don't have kids, I hope you remember what it was like to be a kid.  I hope you can appreciate the day to be with the ones you love.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas.

9 comments:

  1. Christmas is going to be so fun for you this year...your kids are going to be loving it! Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so lovely. so so lovely.
    before Lovie, i didn't dislike Christmas- but it made me sad for a variety of reasons but i was always in love with Christmas Eve and Christmas day- when the hustle and bustle of it all came to a stop and family and friends got together, etc. Now, with Lovie? OMG it's PURE MAGIC- the whole month of December so far is pure magic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! I feel exactly the same way. People need to get over it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love joy...you're such a "reality spreader" lately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll admit- I sometimes get caught up in the busy stuff around Christmas. But, I do love Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl!! Love it! You are so right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree Christmas is more fun with kids. We aren't celebrating with family, but just with the 3 of us and we're really excited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so glad you finding the joy in Christmas! It's true. All the ba humbugs out there need to get with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Almost lost my Christmas cheer today...but you're right..there it was, plastered all over my children's faces. hiding in plain sight. It will be the Merriest of Christmases I think this year.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Hit me up ya'll.